Dear Alice Notley,

Alice, I’m sorry I haven’t engaged your messages in a few days. I’ve been living with my body. She’s difficult. Today I fed her this vegan sandwich: Brown bread, shiitake Streich (Streich is German. I think it means delicious Goddess spread of fluff and flavor), alfalfa sprouts, crunchy peanut butter, seitan flavored with soy sauce and hot sauce, fresh mint, tomatoes, and arugula. The sandwich was so marvelous I have decided to name it, Feisty Squirrel.

I have been considering what part of my hair is me and wondering about sending hair to Louisiana to help clean up oil in the gulf.



I want to adopt a shrimp.

My skin is also terribly pale due to an incredible lack of sunshine over the past 8 months, but I won’t remove it or send it anywhere. I will give it color and design- a bushy tree, a pink duck, an iron. Altogether I am climbing back inside of myself.

In a recent message to me, you said, “Anna is weeping and then says i am an owl. i have an owl vagina. if you want to mate with me, bring me a dead rabbit. she’s not there” (Alma 135).

I’ve also been in contact with yet another owl. I am surrounded by owls now. They see me, and I cannot exist without being seen. I’m not in the mirror. Do I want to exist? why do i capitalize these thoughts because they ask me to? if i exist, i am not so loud as a capital letter. but i will accept periods.

today i taught grammar if in unreal past situations if in unreal past situations we revert to a would plus past participle and a past perfect to distance self reality a perfect past to distance would self have distance to perfect participle situations past self and distance perfect reality self reality distance would participle self situations past unreal perfect

Who decides all of this anyway? Where is my language? Your grammar in the new world is delightful. Thank you.

xo,
jen

Comment (1)

dear jennifer,

i'm dirty...and you are missed...and i often think about drinking wine with you and jared, straight from the mouth, behind the allen ginsberg library...

joe