Goon in the world

In an attempt to have a conversation with the world without leaving my couch, I have decided to start a blog. The blog will trace my interest in poetry, poetics, Berlin, late night muses, music, photography, wee little films and consciousness.

First of all, a little background about where I’m at:

I live in a little ground floor apartment in a backyard building in the neighborhood of Friedrichshain in Berlin. Here is my view right now:










My neighbors are also beautiful, and I will post pictures of them soon.


I’m currently working to revive Hot Whiskey Press, which for sometime was sick with pneumonia and then a bout of post traumatic stress disorder, but recovering nicely and should be out at a park near you this summer.

Books which are within reach of my couch at the moment are David Lehman’s The Last Avant-Garde, Alice Notley’s Alma, or the Dead Women and Disobedience, Judith Butler’s Precarious Life, Slavoj Žižek’s Violence and Andrew K. Peterson’s Museum of Thrown Objects. Here are some things which I have underlined in pencil from these books:

Lehman: “….by T.S. Eliot, who had argued that “poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion” and that “only those who have personality and emotions will know what it means to want to escape from these things.” (82)

Notley: “not if in the states they have states only states. In the states not souls? The only solution is my own birth, old, a daughter no longer old. Born with the double diamond, the snake the squash blossom marks” (Alma 63)

“what do you say, Justice? I am covered in scabs she says, I have headlice I live on the street. Drink bad wine do you? Looking for an abandoned house, for I am unwelcome the tender cries of vermin and maggots in the trash I hear omens in their growing populations, I went to convert change to small bills and gave up all my ancient coinage the loved words for when the poor are granted shelter the grieving are cared for in their anguish the children are guarded and no remote village in a desert suffers the bombs of a superior power.” (Alma 89)

Butler: “I am referring not only to humans not regarded as humans, and thus to a restrictive conception of the human that is based upon their exclusion.” … “What is real? Whose lives are real? How might reality be remade? Those who are unreal have, in a sense, already suffered the violence of derealization.” …”The derealization of the “Other” means that it is neither alive nor dead, but interminably spectral.” (33-34)

Žižek: "And would Marx not have said today: what are all the protests against global capitalism worth in comparison with the invention of the internet?"(17)

Andy’s book will never get underlines because it is too dear to me. I recieved it in the mail only moments ago and with an intial flipping through the book am reminded of the smell of spruce trees and sitting on a lawn in Boulder assembling organs. A medical textbook for dissection appears in the middle of the book, and I can see through the copy where I forced holes to turn it into a journal, held together with binder rings, which I had spray painted brown. I can see my dearest friends and lovers in this book. I find Jared Hayes throughout it, and I can hear Joseph’s Cooper’s strong voice ready to fucking kill us because that’s how much he loves us, and I see Michael Koshkin in his Berrigan days, and Elizabeth Guthrie, who I’m so lucky to have here on my continent and nearly the same time zone.